Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Blindmen and the Elephant

The Blindmen and the Elephant

            When I read or hear about those who had been at the commune and even today do not seem willing to recognize the significant damage that resulted from Herbert’s actions I attempt to sort out “Why?”.  I recall an Indian parable which formed the basis for the American poet John Godfrey Saxe’s poem "The Blindmen and the Elephant".

            I think that those who continue to support Herbert Schwartz and his writings would benefit from allowing themselves to view him and his actions from another viewpoint or angle. I say this not for the purpose of claiming my view is the correct view but rather out of the recognition of how much I myself have benefited from allowing myself to hear and see other angles. I am extremely grateful and indebted to those who allowed for me access to their view. Without that access my singular viewpoint would continue to limit and restrict my perspective. Those viewpoints have included both those who had been at Mount Hope – as well as other voices I have uncovered in books (which touched on Herbert’s life before Mount Hope).


            There were a number of “things” lacking at the Mount Hope Foundation commune, including
1) the Sacrament of Penance (also referred to as Confession, Penance, or Reconciliation) – while not non-existent – this was “supplanted” by what was called “talking privately” with Herbert Schwartz. I cannot understate the harm done here.

2) “a proper discernment” – and for my thoughts I am not so much thinking of vocational discernment as much as recognizing right from wrong. There was far too much allowance for Herbert Schwartz to be the one who determined what was right and what was wrong. At 126 Tally Ho Road – there were a number of people – both Catholic clergy and laity - who were intelligent too a degree that should have provided them with the capacity to question much of what was taking place there. They failed to do so. This lack of discernment and allowing Herbert to determine right from wrong also resulted in great damage.

- the “Herbert says” mentality the was present at Mount Hope went from the innocuous to the bizarre -
I can recall when I was 5 or 6 or so – and our babysitter – when trying to get us to squeeze the very last toothpaste out of the toothpaste tube – telling us “because Herbert says that’s the way to do it”
*
later – perhaps 10 years old  – when eating dinner at the “kids table” and when you did not want to finish your meal. Rather then telling us of “starving people In India” the babysitter would tell us to “have three last bites” – and these were not for The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit – but rather for “Herbert – S – and D”. With “S” and “D” being the two people who were completed the "triumvirate" at Mount Hope.
*
still later – I am perhaps 17 years old and telling a friend, roughly the same age, that they should stop smoking (it has been found that they had a “hole in their lungs”). One of the medical Doctors overhears me and scolds me for saying this – telling me “Herbert said he can smoke” – I recall thinking “and exactly WHAT can Herbert do for his medical condition?".

- and I am aware that with each of the above recollections it was not as if Herbert had told those to say what they said –










3 comments:

  1. I remember that in the very early days of Mt Hope there was nowhere for me to sleep, as I was a newcomer. I slept on the floor on a mattress in the second floor hall of the "old house" with another newcomer. We were about the same age and as teenage girls, would talk about where we came from, why we were there, and other mundane things. Alice Marie would come out and tell us that "Herbert wouldn't like us staying up late and talking". I was new and this made no sense to me. Janice, my new friend did not last long, and I was moved into a room with Martha, Joannie and Barbara Byrne, and my late night conversations ended. But the words "Herbert doesn't like" never ended. He never said but I was told he didn't like women's hair parted down the middle, for women to chew gum, and so these things became forbidden, for fear that he would voice them to me directly. Jeanne G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John
    Hi Jeanne
    I had to read a comment to get to this point where it said "post comment"
    Glad to be here.
    Thanks you, John, for starting the conversation.
    Jeannie, I remember Herbert not liking our hair parted in the middle. and the no chewing gum. He ruled......
    I imagine his moving us from room to room was another form of his breaking up all friendships....
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. To add my most unfortunate memories of Mount Hope I would have to go the sexual therapy I experienced at Herbert's hands as a thirteen year old and for many years...
    All bad enough from the person who was my spiritual father but even worse when today my mother claims such actions were not abuse but " a gift ". Just sick. I share this because I would only find out long after I left Mount Hope that I was not the only one to receive this treatment. Herbert had told me never to share a word of my experiences because I was the only one..and that is what I believe he told each of us. This was Herbert's trump card to keep us under his control.
    Damage was done and sharing the experiences with others helps us all to heal.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete